This week I’m posting my first attempts at art journalling. This is something I’ve wanted to try for some time, but I’m finding it hard to actually do. I’ve done art all my life, but beyond the sketching I did as a child, it has always been to draw up to a fianl piece…you know, the type you frame and hang on a wall. The idea of drawing just for the sake of drawing…the last time I did that must have been before puberty.
Some time ago I did a series of experiments with paint and bubble bath. They proved quite popular and I had several expressions of interest in a tutorial, so I wrote up my first fully documented Exploration. Since then I have received a request to do a video of the technique. It has taken me a while to get there as I didn’t have the equipment to actually put a video together, but a few days ago I finally managed to wrangle one out of my iPad. It is nothing snazzy, but it does demonstrate a part of the procedure I had difficulty explaining in the tutorial.
I’ve been so madly arting of late that I haven’t had time to post! But here is a quickie in honour of Paint Party Friday because that is what I’ve been doing – painting. I’ve been exploring my acrylics. I guess you could call this piece a big acrylic experiment because it has very much been a ‘let’s see what happens if I do this’ kind of painting.
Ah, it has been so long since I had something to share with on Paint Party Friday. But this week, I’ve rediscovered my arty mojo and have dived back in. So I have a work-in-progress to share.
Tonight I went to my first ever art group. It was great! A small group, just the way I like my groups ::grin:: with a fully qualified lecturer, Drew Harrison, on hand for all those curly questions. And boy, was it great to finally have someone to ask in person some of those technical glitch type questions that have had me haunting YouTube time and time again.
I’ve just yesterday joined up to a community focussed on art journalling – another attempt of mine to get my art going and funnily enough it has worked for today. The above is a close up from a previous oil pastel experiment. As part of joining the community, I uploaded a few of the bits and pieces I have completed or played with that are as close to art journalling as I can get (I’ve never art journalled, so this is an adventure for me). I received a couple of comments on the photo this morning and so I thought, what the hey, I’ll get out that piece of work and continue experimenting.
This is what I came up with.
I haven’t had much time this week (story of my life on all fronts), but I have done a little work on KJ’s accordian book. The insides have been started and I have continued working on the covers, for the first time truly branching into mixed media as I’ve added some beads.
I’ve found a new interest – handmade books. In particular, for the moment, accordian books. Along side this discovery I’ve also discovered handcarved stamps and heavily layered work (something I’ve admired a lot recently, but haven’t really tried much myself).