Bit by little bit my jewel and paper mosaic is coming together. I have no plan and am really just putting pieces down where I feel like it and apart from one wonky swirl, I think it is going really well. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying doing this in my lounge in front of the TV.
On Tuesday I had a period of feeling vaguely okay and the weather was sunny, so I let the kids outside and quickly slapped down the basics for this painting. Today, only sheer determination dragged me off the couch to finish it. The result is the most slapped together hack of a painting I have ever done, full of faults, but it illustrates the idea.
And here I am still painting my mermaid. It is taking forever because I only have small amounts of time to attend to it. I ended up setting it up inside and working by my desk lamp. Not the best, but at least I can pick it up and leave it when I have to. I much prefer painting outside on a sunny day, but alas, winter is coming here and the days are getting cold and windy.
But! I have made some progress. Still a way to go, but getting there slowly.
Several days ago I was rifling through the Net looking for a way to make my own stencils. My sister has been experimenting with stencils and moulding paste and has gotten some interesting results, so I wanted to try it out for myself. But although I have a handful of stencils here, mostly lettering stencils, I didn’t really want to be confined to other people’s creations, I wanted to make my own.
One of the assignments we were given was to draw a picture six times in six different ways. It did prove to be a challenging exercise and introduced me to the concept of different linework and some of the interesting effects that can be achieved. It took nearly eighteen years for the concept to hit home, but here are my drawings.
Yes, F is for Friday, but not just any Friday, but Paint Party Friday! Every week on a Friday, artists from all over get together at the Paint Party Friday blog and share their painting accomplishments for that week. It is fantabulously hosted by Eva and Kristin, two avid paint enthusiasts who provide the hard work to keep this great challenge/party/motivation kick joint going.
Some time ago I did a series of experiments with paint and bubble bath. They proved quite popular and I had several expressions of interest in a tutorial, so I wrote up my first fully documented Exploration. Since then I have received a request to do a video of the technique. It has taken me a while to get there as I didn’t have the equipment to actually put a video together, but a few days ago I finally managed to wrangle one out of my iPad. It is nothing snazzy, but it does demonstrate a part of the procedure I had difficulty explaining in the tutorial.