And here I am still painting my mermaid. It is taking forever because I only have small amounts of time to attend to it. I ended up setting it up inside and working by my desk lamp. Not the best, but at least I can pick it up and leave it when I have to. I much prefer painting outside on a sunny day, but alas, winter is coming here and the days are getting cold and windy.
But! I have made some progress. Still a way to go, but getting there slowly.
Several days ago I was rifling through the Net looking for a way to make my own stencils. My sister has been experimenting with stencils and moulding paste and has gotten some interesting results, so I wanted to try it out for myself. But although I have a handful of stencils here, mostly lettering stencils, I didn’t really want to be confined to other people’s creations, I wanted to make my own.
One of the assignments we were given was to draw a picture six times in six different ways. It did prove to be a challenging exercise and introduced me to the concept of different linework and some of the interesting effects that can be achieved. It took nearly eighteen years for the concept to hit home, but here are my drawings.
Yes, F is for Friday, but not just any Friday, but Paint Party Friday! Every week on a Friday, artists from all over get together at the Paint Party Friday blog and share their painting accomplishments for that week. It is fantabulously hosted by Eva and Kristin, two avid paint enthusiasts who provide the hard work to keep this great challenge/party/motivation kick joint going.
Some time ago I did a series of experiments with paint and bubble bath. They proved quite popular and I had several expressions of interest in a tutorial, so I wrote up my first fully documented Exploration. Since then I have received a request to do a video of the technique. It has taken me a while to get there as I didn’t have the equipment to actually put a video together, but a few days ago I finally managed to wrangle one out of my iPad. It is nothing snazzy, but it does demonstrate a part of the procedure I had difficulty explaining in the tutorial.
I’ve been so madly arting of late that I haven’t had time to post! But here is a quickie in honour of Paint Party Friday because that is what I’ve been doing – painting. I’ve been exploring my acrylics. I guess you could call this piece a big acrylic experiment because it has very much been a ‘let’s see what happens if I do this’ kind of painting.
I haven’t had much time this week (story of my life on all fronts), but I have done a little work on KJ’s accordian book. The insides have been started and I have continued working on the covers, for the first time truly branching into mixed media as I’ve added some beads.
I’ve found a new interest – handmade books. In particular, for the moment, accordian books. Along side this discovery I’ve also discovered handcarved stamps and heavily layered work (something I’ve admired a lot recently, but haven’t really tried much myself).