I had some great fun yesterday. Now considering the title of this post, you might wonder what I have been up to. But no, I’m far too much of a goody-two-shoes to actually go out and graffiti anything. But what I can do is a piece of artwork in the graffiti style…well, as close as a square cucumber like me can manage.
Do you remember those fun paintings we all did as a kid in school – blob some paint on a piece of paper then fold it over, rub, and open it up to see some pretty butterfly shaped random compostitions? Well, these are what I’m calling butterfly paintings. I used to love them as a kid and I’m loving playing with them now.
This is a technique for creating marbled/semi-blended backgrounds (mostly) on canvas that takes advantage of the slight three-dimensionality of self-leveling gel and its ability to semiblend colour and catch it in mid-motion.
Some time ago I did a series of experiments with paint and bubble bath. They proved quite popular and I had several expressions of interest in a tutorial, so I wrote up my first fully documented Exploration. Since then I have received a request to do a video of the technique. It has taken me a while to get there as I didn’t have the equipment to actually put a video together, but a few days ago I finally managed to wrangle one out of my iPad. It is nothing snazzy, but it does demonstrate a part of the procedure I had difficulty explaining in the tutorial.
I’ve found a new interest – handmade books. In particular, for the moment, accordian books. Along side this discovery I’ve also discovered handcarved stamps and heavily layered work (something I’ve admired a lot recently, but haven’t really tried much myself).
I actually managed to do some painting today! I didn’t complete what I started out to do, but I have made good progress and a painting is emerging.
I’m learning. And as I learn, I’m hoping to share what I learn. These are the tools and techniques and other little arty technical thingies that I’m playing with at the moment. I hope they are useful. ( a new series to tie in with my experiments and explorations – today I finished my Wreath Wattle painting and experimented with glazing)